-Taken from the book, The Power of Data Storytelling by Sejal Vora
Most companies have massive amounts of data at their disposal yet fail to utilize it in any meaningful way. Big data and the analytics based on it promise to change virtually every industry and business function over the next decade.
But the question is if you are really using your data in a meaningful manner.
4 Red flags indicating your data communication is not effective
- Your charts and writing are number heavy with no clarity
- The audience requires to analyze the chart (just like with a data table) to decipher what's going on?
- The audience is compelled to re-read the writing and still does not get the desired clarity of the message.
- The data points or insights from one paragraph/chart to another seems to be jumpy and you aren't always successful in understanding how they connect
If you are doing the following, you are conveying an impactful Data Story:
- The key insights, conclusions, and messages are clear at first glance (for a chart) or first read (for writing)
- You can sense the invisible thread that logically connects all your data points giving it a much-needed flow and structure
- You are not giving numbers to your audience, but you are taking them on a journey
- The audience finds your charts and writing to be interesting and often agree with your conclusions
If you believe that you need a little help or guidance in transforming your data communications into Stories to make them more impactful and engaging for your audience then welcome to the world of “Data Storytelling”.
Good day Sejal. Love what you did here for your readers, followers and fans too. I often like to invest my share time to gain some especial and additional knowledge and information and your sweet and super analytical approach made me very pleased. Anyway, the data driven insights you detailed with four red flag indication was totally a meaningful and useful. Again, every business or industry might have its own data base and analytics system and also a proper mechanism to store, keep and maintain in a secure way. But transforming work may cause of losing data or even lost. What if the companies lose their data somehow. I think they also should have data recovery system or mechanism, in that situation I can drop a help and that's cheap data recovery melbourne. Certainly some guys find this interesting.ReplyDelete
Simply it was super interesting and cool produce regarding the data driven. Brilliant insight. I was impressed to get so many tech educative information in a single post. As the uses, importance and significance of modern science and technology are on the fast growing mode and surprising us with its numerous innovation to meet up our different purpose, it's needless to mention how technology and data science dominate our every day and business life. Indeed much more pleased to have some great point of views from your incredible demonstration. It was totally inspiring and adorable. Though my browsing story today was to grab good ideas about InData Labs, a one of the leading machine learning consulting and development companies, I was completely satisfied the resources and ideas you delivered here.ReplyDelete