Most companies have massive amounts of data at their disposal yet fail to utilize it in any meaningful way. Big data and the analytics based on it promise to change virtually every industry and business function over the next decade.
But the question is if you are really using your data in a meaningful manner.
4 Red flags indicating your data communication is not effective
- Your charts and writing are number heavy with no clarity
- The audience requires to analyze the chart (just like with a data table) to decipher what's going on?
- The audience is compelled to re-read the writing and still does not get the desired clarity of the message.
- The data points or insights from one paragraph/chart to another seems to be jumpy and you aren't always successful in understanding how they connect
If you are doing the following, you are conveying an impactful Data Story:
- The key insights, conclusions, and messages are clear at first glance (for a chart) or first read (for writing)
- You can sense the invisible thread that logically connects all your data points giving it a much-needed flow and structure
- You are not giving numbers to your audience, but you are taking them on a journey
- The audience finds your charts and writing to be interesting and often agree with your conclusions
If you believe that you need a little help or guidance in transforming your data communications into Stories to make them more impactful and engaging for your audience then welcome to the world of “Data Storytelling”.